It seems like every stylist has their own way of doing the urban/boho wave. This is one way I like to do it. The key to this style is to make your hair wavy without a defined curl pattern.
1. Start by spraying wax through the ends of your hair to add texture. I am using Short Sexy Hair Play Dirty.
2. Take a small section off of your part and wrap it around a curling iron towards your face. For this type of curl you can use any size curling iron.
3. Without letting go of the piece you just curled, unwrap it from the curling iron and re-wrap it around the barrel again, this time wrapping the opposite way, away from your face.
4. Hold it until the hair just barely gets hot on the outside.
5. The result is a not quite curly, messy wave.
6. Proceed to curl all of your hair this way, taking bigger sections on bottom and smaller sections on top.
7. Once it's curled, use your fingers to fluff it up and soften the wave. I also like to add a little more spray wax.
What I used: